Senior Accounting Clerk
|Open Date||May 14 2019 - 01:46:00 PM||Close Date||May 21 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Senior Accounting Clerk||Posting Type||Full-Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Term|
|Department Group||Chief Financial Officer||Hours per Week||N/A|
|Education||Bachelor's Degree||Experience||2 years|
|Location||City Hall, 4420 50 Avenue|
|Salary Range||Band 5: $30.81 - $33.69 per hour|
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Services, the Senior Accounting Clerk is responsible for a wide range of moderately complex financial accounting and administrative duties for the Finance Team. This is a senior position within the Finance Team and as a senior resource, the individual will be expected to work closely with the Municipal Accountants and also provide support to other staff as needed.
Specific responsibilities and duties include:
- Perform daily tasks such posting moderately complex, routine journal entries to the general ledger; seeking assistance from the Municipal Accountants in the event of non-routine and more complex entries.
- Prepare and post moderately complex asset capitalization entries. Reviewing the progress of capital projects with the Project Manager for routine projects.
- Prepare a reconciliation of the capital asset general ledger accounts to the asset registry for routine projects.
- Prepare a reconciliation of moderately complex contracts for Accounts Receivable and prepare adjusting journal entries for review by the Municipal Accountants.
- Provide coverage for the Municipal Accountants in their absence to ensure proper cheque selection for the weekly cheque run. Print cheques and ensure the EFT files are submitted to the bank by the deadline.
- Ensure the City has adequate supply of cheque stock, deposit stamps, deposit bags and other banking materials.
- Support the Municipal Accountants by performing month-end close procedures as instructed.
- Prepare a preliminary variance analysis for the Municipal Accountants to review and further investigate.
- Support the Municipal Accountants in the preparation and provide preliminary analysis of the monthly financial statement package.
- Prepare a quarterly report of budgets to actuals, conduct a preliminary variance analysis for the Municipal Accountants to review and further investigate.
- Prepare ad hoc financial reports as necessary to assist other staff with operating decisions.
- Provide support to the Municipal Accountants and the Finance Team throughout the budgeting process and ensure budgets are entered accurately into the accounting system.
- Ensure proper records are maintained for audit purposes within the Senior Accounting Clerk’s area of responsibility and provide support for year-end audit.
- Assist with training junior staff.
- Provide support to the Municipal Accountants or more junior staff as necessary.
- Other related duties as required.
Normal working hours for this position are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours.
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Commerce or Business Administration Degree with a major in Accounting from a recognized institution.
- A minimum of two years of financial accounting experience is required.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as accounting software programs such as Diamond GP, Pearl by WorkTech, or Questica.
- Is self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and with little direction.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to converse both verbally and in written correspondence, with all levels of staff and all external stakeholders or partners. Be clear and concise, while providing relevant information in person, phone or email.
- Be able to multitask, stay organized, have a strong attention to detail, while working under pressure.
- Strong time management skills, to manage changing priorities while maintaining accuracy and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, in a team environment
- Have a high standard of ethics and confidentiality.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.