The Supervisor, Roadway Services will assist in the year round maintenance and operation of city roadways, and sign and traffic light systems. They will be responsible to complete spot checks on work completed, to ensure accuracy and efficiencies are being met, and “report a concern” tracking.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Provide direction to employees by planning, assigning and supervising work.
- Assist in hiring, train and ensure satisfactory performance from assigned staff.
- Develop positive behaviour and attitude among assigned staff.
- Ensure proper organization and scheduling of activities as required for the most cost effective and efficient use of assigned staff and maintain favourable personnel relations.
- Monitor, develop, recommend and implement operating procedures and programs that provide for efficient construction, operation, maintenance and preventative maintenance of all systems under control.
- Promote a work environment that is productive, reliable, and efficient and is geared to service excellence by establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with the public, contractors, and internal staff with a strong focus on customer service.
- Prepare and recommend annual operating budgets in conjunction with the Director, Transportation Services and monitor and control activity budgets on a continuous basis.
- Prepare periodic reports and maintain records of programs and personnel.
- Collaborate effectively with the Supervisor, Roadway Services to ensure efficient management of the team.
- Conduct monthly safety meetings and inspections.
- Conduct safety orientations for contractors.
- Conduct pre-job safety meetings for non-routine tasks.
- Update HIAC’s and other site specific safety documents.
- Assist in conducting incident investigations within 5 days of incidents, implement corrective actions and follow through.
- Develop Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensure all required safety training for staff are up to date.
- Ensure all equipment is inspected as per the scheduled plan.
- Ensure regulatory and OHS compliance with all aspects of operation.
- Other related duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 3 years’ directly related work experience and 3 years’ in a supervisory position is preferred.
- Must possess a Class 3 Driver’s License registered in Alberta or Saskatchewan with a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract. Driver’s Abstract to be submitted with application. The successful candidate will be required to operate a municipal vehicle for business purposes.
- Must be proficient with computers with basic to intermediate knowledge in Excel.
- Thorough knowledge in all aspects of directly related municipal infrastructure.
- The desire and ability to pursue additional educational qualifications as required.
- Ability to make decisions, provide direction and problem solve.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- This position is contingent upon receiving a satisfactory criminal record check prior to employment.
Normal working hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours. This position may be required to be on-site, with minimum notice, in emergency situations, day or night.