Reporting to the Director, Planning & Engineering, the GIS Manager oversees, supervises, and coordinates all aspects of the City of Lloydminster’s Geographic Information System (GIS), personnel, activities, and operations to support current, ongoing and evolving needs for geospatial information.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides support to other civic departments and helps them to identify and implement corporate GIS solutions to improve their business processes, increase effectiveness, and support decision-making capabilities.
- Develops and maintains the long-term GIS vision through implementation and execution of projects and ensures support of the overall organizational goals.
- Oversees all enterprise GIS operations including database management and administration, data structure and metadata development, system administration, GIS software selection, implementation and user support, GIS project management, budgeting, marketing, interdepartmental education, user group oversight, and functional team oversight.
- Oversees all functions of the GIS department including technical development and project management.
- Maintains and updates the GIS Strategic Plan and assists in the planning and implementation of short and long-term goals with respect to GIS throughout the City of Lloydminster.
- Develops and implements department services, policies, procedures and strategies.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the GIS team.
- Implements standards and procedures associated with the maintenance and administration of the GIS geodatabase.
- Develops, maintains, and implements internal manuals, training materials and systems documentation, as well as publicly available map resources.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with other agencies, the general public, and other civic departments. Provides direct technical support and manages development for GIS software packages.
- Evaluates the functionality of systems, keeps up-to-date with new technology, and investigates new GIS applications.
- Attends and participates in professional associations, meetings, seminars, conferences and trainings to stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of GIS technology.
- Educates and mentors new GIS users.
- Ensures the timely implementation of GIS related projects.
- Assists in the development and management of GIS project plans including defining requirements, tasks and resource assignments, and ensures that approved quality levels and deadlines are met.
- Prepares GIS project plans and schedules including coordinating internal resources, assigning tasks, and determining work assignments.
- Provides support to all other civic department within the City of Lloydminster with resources, the most recent and accurate GIS data, and mapping. Ensures that City staff, other than those within the GIS team, who are using GIS have the training and technical support needed to perform basic data functions.
- Develops and delivers reports and presentations to other civic departments, senior management, Council, and others as may be required.
- Provides subject matter expertise and/or technical and professional advice associated with GIS data and functions.
- Assists the Director, Planning & Engineering in the preparation of the annual Capital and Operating Budgets, and long-range budgets for the department.
- Maintains and monitors the GIS Capital and Operating Budgets.
- Understands the implications of financial decisions and impact on the department.
- Monitors performance and seeks efficiencies to save costs without hindering the effectiveness of the team.
- Develops and implements purchasing procedures, which are compliant with the current Procurement & Purchasing Policy.
- Creates an open and positive environment to stimulate discussion.
- Sets clear expectations, and then monitors, evaluates, rewards and develops performance within the team.
- Guides and develops employees through employee success plans, career planning and career development.
- Responsive to the team’s strengths and limitations in an effort to ensure the optimum utilization of staff.
- Provides insightful, motivating, and constructive feedback.
- Creates a culture that values, supports, and reflects diversity.
- Ensures performance discussions are completed, maintaining two-way dialogues associated with work assignments, expectations, and results.
- Liaison with senior administration by responding to their needs in a timely fashion.
- Cultivates effective relationships and networks with other civic departments, residents, regional partners, and other levels of government in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
- Negotiates and secures approvals from provincial and federal regulatory agencies.
- Engages others to support corporate and department initiatives.
- Acknowledges the contribution of others in achieving objectives and goals.
- Recruits and administers consulting and contractor services, as required.
- Inspires and motivates the team to take action to support a common purpose and vision.
- Motivates employees to achieve departmental and business goals and objectives.
- Ensures community and municipal department impacts are considered in the delivery of projects and services.
- Encourages an environment that fosters respect and teamwork, while empowering individuals and teams to do their best.
- Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo.
- Serves as a role model in creating a work environment conducive to individual staff development, team achievement, productivity and professionalism.
- Ensures team members have the information and tools required, to work effectively to complete tasks.
- Other related duties as required.