Senior Manager, Employee Relations
|Open Date||May 22 2019 - 01:00:00 PM||Close Date||Jul 26 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Senior Manager, Employee Relations||Posting Type||Full-Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Continuing|
|Department Group||Chief of Staff||Hours per Week||N/A|
|Education||Bachelor's Degree||Experience||5 - 7 years|
|Location||2nd Floor RCMP Building, 5106 44 Street|
The Senior Manager, Employee Relations is responsible for implementing and maintaining regulatory compliance and best practices through the procedural development of all Human Resource policies, protocols and standard operating procedures. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the incumbent coordinates the implementation and effectiveness of all departmental services including: Health and Safety, Payroll, Benefits, Recruitment, Retention, Performance Management, Training and Succession Planning to best support the City’s greatest asset, its human capital.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the formulation and evaluation of policies, standards, procedures; ensures; practices are compliant with legislation, collective agreements and administrative regulations.
- Contributes to the furthering of human rights, equity, dignity and respect in the workplace.
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable contracts, employment labour laws and legislation including Alberta/Saskatchewan Employment Standards, Alberta/Saskatchewan Human Rights, Pay Equity Act, Alberta/Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety, and the Collective Agreements.
- Ensures that files and records that contain personal information are handled appropriately in accordance with all applicable provincial laws.
- Provides relative information to management; ensures planning, monitoring and appraisal of employee performance is maintained to promote best practices.
- Implements best practices for the HR department, ensures that supervisors and managers are trained on employee relations, performance management and progressive discipline.
- Coordinates dismissals with payroll in accordance with the applicable employment contract; ensures appropriate notice period is provided and required standards are met.
- Reviews, compiles and maintains essential employee Standard Operating Protocols; communicates updates to management and staff.
- Maintains the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions within the City; corresponds with Union Executive and management to formalize job descriptions.
- Provides advice and interpretation of the Collective Agreements, Human Rights, labour law, and legislation.
- Undertakes follow-up on legitimate complaints; initiates necessary investigations related to grievances, complaints and/or discipline.
- Builds relationships with all stakeholders to promote a harmonious working relationship.
- Acts in good faith in adversarial or situations with competing interests. Maintains professional independence towards all parties at all times.
- Conducts mediation and informal resolutions in an impartial and unbiased manner.
- Conducts research and prepares information for the negotiation process for the Collective Agreements. Provides administrative support throughout the process.
- Provides leadership, direction and guidance for all Employee Relations functions including
Health and Safety, Payroll, Benefits, Recruitment, Retention, Performance Management, Training and Succession Planning.
- Coaches’ management and staff to interpret HR Standard Operating Procedures and adherence to the Collective Agreements.
- Provides direction and advice pertaining to the maintenance of cohesive employee relations.
- Sets clear expectations, monitors, evaluates and develops performance within the team.
- Responsive to team’s strengths and limitations, to ensure the optimum utilization of talent resources.
- Creates a culture that values, supports and reflects diversity.
- Ensures departmental impacts are considered in the delivery of projects and Employee Relations services.
- Encourages an environment that fosters respect and teamwork.
- Guides and supports the development of staff through succession planning and career planning and development.
- Ensures performance discussions are completed while maintaining two way dialogues on work and results.
- Cultivates effective relationships and networks with other departments, unions and staff.
- Builds a commitment to excellence and common purpose by promoting the vision internally and externally.
- Is accessible to staff and invests the time necessary to build relationships.
- Provides coverage for periods of absences within the department.
- Avoids or discloses a potential conflict of interest that might influence or might be perceived to influence, personal actions or judgments.
- Identifies and addresses matters that affect the overall health of the organization; morale, effectiveness, turnover, absenteeism and productivity.
- Ensures all statements and reports are factual; corrects misleading statements and reports.
- Liaison with all stakeholders by responding to requests in a timely fashion.
- Leads diversity initiatives.
- Other related duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A Graduate or Undergraduate Degree in: Human Resources and Labour Relations, Business Administration or a related discipline.
- Five to seven years progressive work experience in a Human Resources and/or Supervisory/Management position; a combination of education and experience would be considered.
- Certified Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) would be considered an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable Federal and Provincial Employment Law, Standards, and Human Rights Legislation.
- Ability to establish mutual trust between the employer, the unions and employees.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to build strong relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong communication (written and interpersonal), problem solving, organizational, time management and conflict management skills.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of ethics, discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to leverage and promote team strengths; promotes growth for limitations.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Proof of qualifications will be required.