Supervisor, Wastewater Collection
|Open Date||Aug 07 2019 - 04:15:00 PM||Close Date||Aug 21 2019 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Supervisor, Wastewater Collection||Posting Type||Full-Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Continuing|
|Department Group||Wastewater||Hours per Week||N/A|
|Education||Bachelor's Degree||Experience||3 - 5 years|
|Location||Operations Centre, 6623 52 Street|
|Salary Range||Out-of-Scope, Band 4|
The Supervisor, Wastewater Collection is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of the Sanitary Sewer and Stormwater Collection Systems. This position is responsible for developing and implementing programs and procedures for a reliable and efficient Wastewater Collection System. This position will be an active participant in the development of the department’s annual budget and strategic plan. This position will supervise the work and professional development of Wastewater Collection staff. This position will be the City’s liaison with stakeholders (customers, contractors, land owners), utilizing sound technical knowledge, providing excellent customer service and developing cohesive relationships.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Maintain and implement an effective preventative maintenance program, conducting regular program reviews and completes revisions as needed
- Develop and implement new programs for the efficient and reliable operation and maintenance of the Wastewater Collection system
- Supervise Wastewater Collection personnel through site visits, inspections and review of maintenance records
- Plan and direct the construction, repair, and maintenance of the Wastewater Collection system including gravity mains, force mains, manholes and lift stations
- Review maintenance, repair and inspection records on a regular basis
- Ensure repairs are in a timely manner and in accordance to City and regulatory standards or best practices
- Coordinate the field work of the hydrovac unit with other City departments and external customers
- Conduct or assist in training of Wastewater Collection personnel in processes, operation of equipment, preventative maintenance plan and record keeping
- Conduct performance evaluations and identify professional development needs of Wastewater Collection personnel.
- Ensure Wastewater Collection personnel are engaged to identify new ideas to perform tasks easier, safer or more effective and efficient
- Review and code all invoices, data and documents from augers, camera inspections, construction or supplies
- Provide support to the City’s Pollution Prevention Program by providing technical knowledge, reporting and investigating incidences of blockages and spills
- Provide support on-call personal afterhours when needed
- Review and provide input on capital upgrades, sanitary sewer and stormwater master plans and the Municipal Development Standards
- Analyze, implement, maintain and enforce safety regulation, programs, and department policies and procedures
- Report and investigate department accidents and injuries
- Ensure Wastewater Collection personnel are provided with proper and adequate PPE’s for the job.
- Ensure Wastewater Collection personnel are provided with required safety training and ensures that tickets are up to date.
- Conduct regular inspections to ensure work is performed safely, proper policies and procedures are followed and proper PPE’s are being used correctly.
- Review safety forms, identify potential hazards and implement controls
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures, conducts regular reviews and completes revisions as needed.
- Perform monthly safety and staff meetings
Resident Concerns and Complaints
- Receives and addresses customer complaints/concerns regarding Wastewater Collection
- Investigate and recommend corrective actions to resolve complaints with site visits to better investigate and give better solutions
- Dispatch Wastewater Collection personnel to resolve complaints when necessary
- Build and maintain strong customer relationships with correct and timely actions to resolve complaints and strong principles of good customer service
- Act as the City’s liaison with landowners, maintaining good and respectful working relationship
- Communicate site visits, inspections and repairs with landowners
- Maintain water levels as per permit to operate and adjust water levels as needed
- Obtain water samples and coordinate analysis with external laboratory
- Supervise construction, repairs and maintenance of Control Structures or Road Crossings
- Ensure water is able to flow through the complex without any restrictions
- Maintain and report Annual Water Level and Usage to the Water Security Agency
- Manage pest control
- Assist in the development and monitor Operating and Capital budgets
- Order material as needed for routine maintenance and specific jobs
- Ability to be reached after hours to assist or assign personnel to address emergency
- Assists in the development, review and evaluation of proposals for capital projects and service agreements
- Pest Control for storm channels within City limits
- Investigate and respond to insurance claim inquiries
- Other related duties as required.
Normal working hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary Degree from a recognized institute relating to wastewater treatment/distribution & collection.
- Class III Wastewater Collection Certificate is an asset. Or willing to work towards a Class III Wastewater Collection Certification
- Three to five years’ experience in a related position.
- Three to five years’ in a supervisory role in a municipal environment.
- Ability to plan, direct and supervise staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, contractors, and other civic staff.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Successful applicant must provide proof of qualifications.