The Supervisor, Wastewater Collection is responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of the Sanitary Sewer and Stormwater Collection Systems. This position is responsible for developing and implementing programs and procedures for a reliable and efficient Wastewater Collection System. The Supervisor, Wastewater Collection will be an active participant in the development of the department’s annual budget and strategic plan and they will supervise the work and professional development of Wastewater Collection staff. This position will be the City’s liaison with stakeholders (customers, contractors, and landowners), utilizing sound technical knowledge, providing excellent customer service and developing cohesive relationships.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement new programs for the efficient and reliable operation and maintenance of the Wastewater Collection system.
- Maintain and implement an effective preventative maintenance program, conducting regular program reviews and revisions as needed.
- Plan and direct the construction, repair, and maintenance of the Wastewater Collection system including gravity mains, force mains, manholes and lift stations.
- Supervise day to day work and professional development of Wastewater Collection personnel.
- Analyze, implement, maintain and enforce safety regulation, programs, and department policies and procedures.
- Conduct regular inspections to ensure work is performed safely, proper policies and procedures are followed and proper PPE’s are being used correctly.
- Act as the City’s liaison with landowners around the City’s stormwater management complex, maintaining a good and respectful working relationship.
- Provide support to the City’s Pollution Prevention Program by providing technical knowledge, reporting and investigating incidences of blockages and spills.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of department’s strategic objectives and operating and capital budgets.
- Other related duties as required.
- Review and provide input on capital upgrades, sanitary sewer and stormwater master plans and the Municipal Development Standards.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary education from a recognized institute relating to wastewater treatment/distribution & collection.
- Class III Wastewater Collection Certificate is an asset. Candidates willing to work towards a Class III Wastewater Collection Certification will also be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related position.
- Minimum of 3 years’ in a supervisory role in a municipal environment.
- Ability to plan, direct and supervise staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, contractors, and other civic staff.
- This position is contingent upon receiving a satisfactory criminal record check prior to employment.
Rate of Pay:
Out-of-Scope, Band 4
Normal working hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours.